Weekly Training Sessions to Build Core Strength, Flexibility and Running Efficiency
Overview: Coach Led Strength and Conditioning Training Sessions
Improve your running with our expert coach led training sessions! We’ve got some of the best coaches in the North of England to help you take your running to the next level. Benefits include:
- Expert coaching and advice
- Core strength and conditioning for more effective running and injury prevention
- Drills and exercises to improve technique and running efficiency
Let our expert coaches help you with all aspects of training such as: drills, injury prevention, race techniques, and planning of training.
Joining our sessions will give you the benefits of expert guidance in strength and conditioning. At our gym sessions you will build up your core strength and learn to run more effectively and enjoyably.
Use these sessions to supplement your regular training runs, on your own or in groups or clubs. We also offer track sessions, testing, workshops and other support for anyone wanting to improve their knowledge and practice of running.
We offer year-round 15 week Seasonal Programmes with weekly training sessions. These sessions are suitable for runners of all standards who wish to improve their running.
Read more below or sign up using the boxes on the right (please note that places may be limited by the facilities available and will be filled on a first-come first-served basis).
Session Details: Circuits, Drills & Plyometrics to Build Core Strength, Flexibility & Running Efficiency
MONDAY – 7:30pm to 9:00pm
BRADFORD GRAMMAR SCHOOL GYM, Keighley Road/Frizinghall Road, Manningham – BD9 4JP
Coach: ILONA MELOUNOVA is a former international athlete and was a member of the Czech Olympic sprint squad. She is a specialist coach who trained at the Charles University (a top sports institution) in Prague. Ilona has coached many Paralympic athletes. She also leads the Bradford Athletics Academy for students and junior athletes.
Description: These two-hour sessions normally gym-based and are structured in several parts. A typical session will include:
- Dynamic stretching to improve flexibility and reduce the chance of injury
- Drills, which are walking, skipping or running exercises to increase specific running muscle strength, flexibility and balance, and improve your running technique
- Strength exercises to strengthen your core muscles and begin to develop general physical strength, using circuit-training and other exercises such as planks
- Plyometrics. These are jumping or hopping exercises with the goal of increasing both speed and power
- Short, intermittent aerobic runs to improve your running speed and form
Initial ‘taster’ session: FREE (first session you attend).
Single session fee: £6 per session (any single session payments you’ve made will be deducted from the total if you subsequently decide to sign up for the whole block).
Block fee: £50 for a complete 14 or 15 week block of sessions (£80 if you attend two sessions per week).
You can join part-way through a block – the fees above are reduced if there are less than 10 weeks remaining in the current block.
Fees include all venue and coaching/instructor costs. Free parking is available at both gym and track sessions.
Payments may be made at the sessions or by PayPal. See our payments page for more details on how to pay.
Map – click here
Meeting location – in the ‘Senior gym’ (also known as the old gym). See below for details of how to find it. This is the usual location – please check the Noticeboard page for any changes.
Driving directions – if approaching from the Bradford or Saltaire directions go to the traffic lights at Ems Lane and Manningham Lane by the south gates to Lister Park (beside a pizzeria and The Park pub). Turn away from Lister Park onto Frizinghall Road and then immediately right into the school car park through the big gates. (If approaching from Canal Road, turn up by Frizinghall railway station, climb the hill and turn left immediately before the traffic lights before Lister Park). There is a small car park on the left and a large one on your right – drive up a small slope and the entrance is towards the top for the right-hand car park. (You might have to drive around to find a space depending on what activities are going on in school.) Then walk along the road between the two car parks and through the barrier. The tennis courts will be on your left and the school on the right. Keep walking between the swimming pool on your right and the large building (the new gym) on your left. Turn right past the swimming pool and follow the side of the building, up a small flight of steps. The entrance to the gym is now down a few steps to your right (directly underneath the elevated corridor). There are changing rooms and toilets inside, through the gym.
Car-parking – the school car-park is off Frizinghall Road.
Public transport –
a) 5 minutes’ walk from Frizinghall railway station.
b) 2-3 minutes from the bus-stop on Keighley Road (bus 662 from Keighley and Bingley to Bradford Interchange, every 15 minutes in the early evening and 30 minutes later). Walk down Frizinghall Road or through the school grounds, past the main school entrance, to the car park and then below that is the old gym.
You’ll need to be in gym gear for the indoor workout, but for the outdoor work bring appropriate kit (e.g. if wet and/or cold, bring a hat, gloves, running jacket etc).
- Autumn-Spring Track Sessions: Drills and Intervals to Build Speed and Endurance. Wednesdays between September and May. 7pm – 8.30pm, UAK track, Greenhead Road, Keighley. Click here for more details.
- Short Courses: subject to demand, we also organise Short Courses, such as off-road running technique, navigation for runners and long-runs for road runners, or introductions for complete beginners.
- Day Courses or Workshops: the Noticeboard gives information on additional conferences, workshops, testing/diagnostic sessions etc, either organised directly by ourselves or by the Regional Endurance Centre at Leeds Met University (Carnegie sports faculty), or by similar official organisations.
1,326 total views, 3 views today